Saturday, June 5, 2010

Theft too close to home, literally

So here's another little view into my life. On Wednesday, I decided to run 3 errands before heading to church for dinner. They were quick, but necessary, and I had to take the boys with me. I didn't want to have waste gas by making another trip on a day I could leave the boys at home. But, I was low on gas. I decided to get it on the way home from church because it would be a little more convenient and cooler. I ran the errands, turned out alright, but the third one was to a small grocery store with great produce and wine prices. The cashier commented that he could see why I was buying the wind as my children ran back and forth in the front of the store, trying to change direction in mid-air as they jumped. I didn't get too upset because they had done pretty well through most of the trip. We went to church, had dinner, and during prayer meeting the sky grew dark, and the wind began to howl. Lightening crashed, rain poured, and it was time to leave. Hubby was staying late for band practice, but he did drive the car under the portico for me. Well, not long after leaving the church, the gas light came on. There are about 31 miles left in the tank, but as we approach home, we hit traffic. Lightening is still crashing, and we are at a standstill as the tank range diminishes. I am worried about getting struck by lightening while pumping gas, but I don't know if I will make it home with the traffic the way it is. I made a break for it, went to the gas station I normally go to. Got everyone out of the car, just in case because there is not a large cover over the pumps. I go stand under the store's porch with the kids while the gas is pumping. We did make it home fine, and it was just a mild inconvenience, but that is not what this blog is about. The next morning, hubby calls me and says that his convertible top was slashed and his sunglasses were stolen. This happened in front of our house; he had parked in the street, not the lit driveway. Why? I don't know. Why does he have a convertible? Why did he leave it locked? Why did he have expensive sunglasses in the car? He usually brings them inside. He usually leaves the car unlocked with nothing valuable inside, and he usually parks in the driveway. Why were all of these things amiss that night? Someone around the corner had their truck window smashed and toolbox stolen. The thieves worked during the thunderstorm. It was also the last night of school. Maybe it was just revelry gone a little too far, but it is an expensive joke for us, if the top cannot be patched. It's rid0nculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment