Tuesday, June 1, 2010

3 days of foam sleeping

I think we are okay. I have not been hallucinating, nor do I have any other neurological complaints. It is interesting to sleep on the foam. It sinks, so it reminds me of a water bed, but there is no sea-sick feeling. The hem did stay in for church service. We will see how it looks the next time I wear it. Good news for now. One of my friends just had her 5th baby in a little more than 5 years. She is fecund. I borrowed a book from her because I am trying not to get pregnant. The book is called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. So you take your temperature everyday, and you are supposed to check your cervical fluid and the position of your cervix to tell whether you are fertile or not. Taking temp, easy, the other two, not so much. After reading the book, though, I have found out that my body is pretty normal. Some things it was doing, I was worried a little about, but it turns out, it's supposed to do those things. No one ever tells you that. I think I missed the "movie" in fifth grade because of an appointment or something, but I am not sure there was too much info given in that. It sounds like it was more of a marketing tool for feminine hygiene. Anyway, we have the word "fecund" which means fertile, and the other new word of the day is mittelshmerz, which is German for middle pain. That is the crampy feeling you might get between your cycles. It's perfectly normal, too. The reason I know "fecund" is because my husband in his public health/fertility research has often brought up, "post-partum infecundibility". That means if a woman is solely breastfeeding a new baby, she should have reduced if not zero fertility. I had that. I didn't even had a period while I was breastfeeding, but the kicker is, you will ovulate before you have a period. That's why you are having a period, because there is no baby for the endometrium to hold, so your body gets rid of it. But, if you ovulate before you have a period, and you are not really paying attention to your body, you could get pregnant while breastfeeding, and never have a period between babies. So, in a time when nutrition was harder to come by, and people worked physically harder than they do now, and there was no baby formula, this infecundibility provided a woman's body with rest between gestation, and gave a nice spacing between kids. So my friend with 5 kids, does not have post-partum infecundiblity, and you may not as well. Next bit of interesting information: you should eat fruit on an empty stomach. Apparently the acid in fruit, when it comes in contact with the food that is in your stomach, can cause digestive problems, like gas and bloating. I am going to give this empty stomach fruit thing a try. I am also teaching my boys Russian, just to let you know what is going on in the schoolroom. That's it for now.

2 comments:

  1. And this is why I love you - you are so wicked smart. :-) I love that you are teaching the boys Russian - that's awesome. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. I do not know if all my spelling was correct, so I hope the real scientists out there do not get offended. I love the word mittelscmertz. I don't love mittelschmertz, but the name is fun.

    ReplyDelete